Heading outdoors is a fantastic way to spend quality time with your aging loved one and to pursue care goals for them. Routine and schedules are important, but adding fun and interest to your senior’s days promotes well-being, mental and emotional health, and a higher quality of life.
By going outdoors together you can enjoy more physical activity, stimulate their mind, enjoy conversation, and make memories you will cherish. As with anything in your caregiver journey, however, it is extremely important to make sure you are properly prepared for the experience so you can both enjoy this time together in a safe and healthy way.
Use these tips to prepare for outdoor adventures with your senior:
- Plan carefully for your experience. An adventure with your senior is likely not a good opportunity for you to try something completely spontaneous or visit somewhere you know nothing about. Even if you haven’t been there before, research the place you want to go so you know as much about it as you can. This is especially important if you need to address specific issues such as mobility problems, cognitive issues, or health needs while on your adventure.
- Pack supplies even if you don’t think you’ll need them. It is critical to have enough water, but having non-perishable food, first aid supplies, means of communication, and other supplies means you are ready to handle difficulties that might arise and can give you more confidence.
- Ensure you are both wearing proper clothing and footwear for your adventure. Layer clothing to allow you to easily adjust for temperature and other conditions, and choose footwear that is supportive, comfortable, and has good traction.
- Make sure someone else knows where you are going and the planned time frame of your adventure. Even if you are not going somewhere excessively challenging or remote, there is always the possibility of unforeseen dangers, and making sure someone else knows your plans will provide an added layer of protection.
Being a family caregiver for an aging adult can be one of the most meaningful and beneficial choices you ever make in your life.
It can also be stressful and even overwhelming. Fortunately, senior care is there to ensure you can focus on the benefits while managing the challenges. A senior home care services provider can offer a wide range of highly personalized services specifically designed with your aging parent in mind.
This means they will get exactly what they need to support their health, safety, and well-being, while also being able to pursue the independent, fulfilling, and engaged lifestyle they deserve. As a family caregiver, this will reduce your stress and help you to feel more balanced in your daily schedule as you focus on your personal relationship while knowing your senior is getting the care they deserve.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring a professional Caregiver in Trussville, AL, call and talk to the staff at Lipford Home Care (205) 623-5700.
They have three teenage children and are actively involved in their church and community – both teach high school Sunday school while Dennis coaches youth sports and Kelly leads a women’s Bible study. Dennis & Kelly personally manage the daily activities of the company.
It is their passion and commitment to providing quality and responsive service that has made their company the fastest growing home care agency in Birmingham.
They believe that being an independently owned and operated company gives them the flexibility to manage their business in a way that better serves their clients.
They understand you have a choice in care providers and they will do their utmost to earn your trust.
Latest posts by Dennis and Kelly Lipford (see all)
- Now Is a Good Time to Start Freezing Excess Produce for the Winter - September 3, 2019
- Five Ways a Companion Can Help Your Senior - August 22, 2019
- What Your Senior Eats and Drinks Can Influence Incontinence Issues - August 14, 2019