As a family caregiver you know how important it is to keep your parent’s home clean and fresh. A clean home helps to support better health and well-being, which is even more important for elderly adults that tend to have more suppressed immune systems than younger people. One room where this is particularly important is the bathroom. This room tends to contain a variety of bacteria as well as other dangers that can make it unhealthy and even dangerous. Effective cleaning can reduce these risks and create a healthier, fresher bathroom for your senior.
Use these cleaning tips for a fresher, healthier bathroom for your aging parent:
- Clean, freshen, and speed up drains without using potentially dangerous chemicals by using a cake made from baking soda, Epsom salts, citric acid, and rubbing alcohol, as well as essential oils such as lemon and tea tree oil. These provide a natural antibacterial effect as well as a fresh, clean scent. Allow the cakes to dry and then place them over the drain. When water is run over them, they will dissolve and fizz.
- These cakes are also fantastic for cleaning the toilet without chemicals.
- Clean the tub, shower, and sink naturally with lemon juice and baking soda.
- Check the faucets to ensure that there are no leaks. If there are, fix them to reduce the risk of mold and mildew, and make the room less hospitable to pests.
- If there are particular problems in the bathroom, consider using a bleach solution to kill germs and suppress the growth of mold and mildew.
- If the bathroom tends to have high humidity, add a moisture-absorbing compound behind the toilet to reduce the growth of germs and other contaminants.
Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be extremely meaningful and fulfilling, but it can also be stressful. Trying to manage all of your parent’s needs as well as those of your children, your marriage, your home, your career, and any other obligations can make you feel overwhelmed and as though you are always trying to finish more than you have the time to do. Fortunately, home care can be there for you. An in-home care provider can step in to fill care gaps, manage potentially sensitive tasks that your parent or you are not comfortable with you handling, provide additional support and companionship, and give your parent the personalized services that they need to have the highest quality of life as they age in place. As their caregiver this will ease your stress, give you more time, and allow you to focus on all of the responsibilities of your life in the ways that are right for you and for your parent.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional caregiver services in Gardendale, AL, call and talk to the staff at Lipford Home Care (205) 623-5700.
They have three teenage children and are actively involved in their church and community – both teach high school Sunday school while Dennis coaches youth sports and Kelly leads a women’s Bible study. Dennis & Kelly personally manage the daily activities of the company.
It is their passion and commitment to providing quality and responsive service that has made their company the fastest growing home care agency in Birmingham.
They believe that being an independently owned and operated company gives them the flexibility to manage their business in a way that better serves their clients.
They understand you have a choice in care providers and they will do their utmost to earn your trust.
Latest posts by Dennis and Kelly Lipford (see all)
- Is Driving Still Possible for Someone with Dementia? - January 21, 2019
- Five Tips for Being a Calmer, Happier Caregiver - January 15, 2019
- Is Time Management an Issue for You? - January 8, 2019